It's hard to believe that Christmas is already here. Part of that can be attributed to the fact that the holiday season in Spain just isn't the same as it is in the States. It's difficult to get in the spirit when all you see are lackluster attempts at Christmas lights in the streets and you have to make a concerted effort to listen to Christmas music. Add to that the fact that the temperatures are in the low 60's, with 100% humidity, and you can see why I've had trouble getting into Christmas this year. More than that, though, it seems like just yesterday that I began my year in Sevilla. I remember thinking on my first day in Sevilla that my family's December trip to Europe was so far off in the distant future that it hardly seemed real. Now, in less than 2 hours, I will be meeting my dad, Shelley, Martha, Little Julia, Wardie, Jeanie and Bill at Santa Justa. I can't believe that they are getting to see Spain, at last. Given that I have spent a total of 7.5 (non-consecutive) months in Spain over the course of my life, I think it's time. As I said in a recent Facebook update, this country has defined a large part of my life. I can't wait to share it with the people who are most important to me. The only thing that would make their arrival more complete is if my mom was coming too. I'll just hold out hope that I'll get to show her the wonders of the Iberian peninsula some day too!
We will be spending two days together in Sevilla before embarking on what will be a couple very busy weeks of European travel. First, we are flying to Rome, where we will meet up with Alice. I am really looking forward to seeing the sites in Rome, since I was sick the last time I was there and didn't see very much, and especially to our private tour of the Vatican on Christmas Eve. Alice's host family, who are incredibly generous, as I learned during my visit to Viterbo in November, are having our entire group (10 people!) over on Christmas Day, for what I can only imagine will be a spectacular Italian feast. The day after Christmas we will be moving on to France, where we will visit Normandy and then Paris. The rest of the crew heads back to the U.S. on New Year's Eve, leaving Alice and I with about 10 days to continue our travels. We will spend NYE in Paris, a daunting but exciting proposition, and then spend about 3 days each in London and Berlin. It is a lot of moving around, to say the least, but I have a feeling this will be a great family vacation.
I have to say that the prospect of over 2 weeks away from Sevilla and my friends here is a little bittersweet. I have really come to love this place and the people here, despite the occasional frustration with the Spanish way of life. I guess that just means I have a lot to look forward to come January.
That's about all I can think to write right now. I hope to be able to update the blog as our trip progresses. Otherwise, I'll have to write one monstrous entry when I get back on January 8. Until I have a chance to write again, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, or as they say here, Feliz Navidad. Hasta pronto...
No comments:
Post a Comment