Despite my general optimism about the year ahead, I have to admit I am nervous. There is a lot of uncertainty about this experience, not the least of which is moving to a new country without a place to live. In my old age of 22, however, I am learning to set my anxiety aside and approach new situations calmly. I only have control over so much, right? For that reason I am taking charge of what I can and leaving the rest to work itself out. This week's triumph was finding hotels in Madrid and Sevilla for my first week on the Peninsula as well as purchasing a train ticket from Madrid to Sevilla. It's a small step but one that makes me (and, most importantly, my mom) feel a lot better about my impending trip. The next step? Beginning to contemplate packing... which I will mostly likely put off until the first week in September.
One last note, for anyone who is traveling or is going to be traveling in Europe (especially on a budget): get a Let's Go Europe book before you hop the pond. It's one of a series of student-geared travel guides, written by Harvard undergrads and it made my traveling a lot easier the last time I was abroad. I recently purchased the 2010 edition and have been perusing it in anticipation of my year in Spain. As I've told many people, one of the greatest things about Europe is the ease and economy of traveling throughout the continent. It's one of the main reasons why I chose to teach English in Spain rather than in Latin America. And as I've skimmed the pages of my new book, I am reminded just how amazing the opportunities are over there. I'm already sketching out my travel plans... first on the list-- Austria and Belgium.
No comments:
Post a Comment